Today's guest blogger is one of my best blog friends, Jocelyn! She is super sweet and we have so much in common. You MUST check out her blog.
Hi Everyone! I'm Jocelyn from over at True Life: We're Married. I'm excited to be guest blogging for Caroline this week! It took me a while to think about what to blog about and finally I came up with House Hunting. The Mr. and I have recently rented our 720sq foot condo and are moving in with the in-laws to help save some money for our very first home. We've barely started this journey and have already learned so much about house hunting and what we are looking for in our first home.
A few things we've learned:
1. Never buy the nicest house on the block: More than likely it will be hard to sell or you won't make as much money as you hoped when you're ready to sell.
2. You have to give and take: If you want a big kitchen, you might have to sacrifice elsewhere like small bathrooms or yard. It's kinda like wedding planning, you have to spend where it is most important to you.
3. Location! Location! Location!: This is crucial, needs to be in an area of town where you love and that has great home values. In today's market, it's hard to find an area that is keeping it's value as well as others.
4. Be Educated: Make sure you know everything about the house and what's been done to the house (good and bad). Also, learn about other houses for sell or recently sold in the area to know the average price range.
5. Be Prepared to walk away: The Mr. and I LOVE finding a good deal and we've had some pep talks about if the price just isn't right, walk away. Eventually we will find the house of our dreams in the right price and location
6. Be Patient: This goes with point #5. We just need to wait and the right 1st home for us will come along.
Any other great tips you all can provide if you've already gone through buying your first home? We are excited to continue learning and telling all about our journey on the blog. All help and advise is appreciated! :)